"I make these posts in memory of my mother - to let her know I'm staying out of trouble"


 

 

 

Boats and Blossoms ... and more Kvas -

 Jun 21 – 22, 2024 We met at Fort Sewell in Marblehead to paint the sea, boats and gardens...The weather gods shined again as we left under cloudy skies but by the time we reached Marblehead the sun was shining. I wanted to paint boast so I walked down front street to "Tuckers Ware" Distant relations??? I like to think so = It was quiet in the yard and so I could work in the shade of a big hanger looking out to some boats. We gathered mid day for show and tell some lunch complete with Kvass...   Back in the studio I remembered a [...]

Read Full Post


Westward - Zion, Bryce and Moab

The push westward takes a turn north to the canyons of Utah. This is new country to me and so I take my time - traveling 3-4 hours to a new location and spending 3-4 days at any one place - this way I feel and can really become to know the ground and the nature around me. A typical day so far has been to rise with the sun and do some writing or some reflection on the trip. I am sure that this will give the memory of these places more meaning and value. Later I take a walk [...]

Read Full Post


Plein Air Easton 2023

During the 12 days between July 12, and July 24 58 artist gathered in Easton Maryland to compete in the 19th annual Plein Air Easton event. Special thanks to my host family Jackie Granger and Mike Iandolo for their daily support :)It was a comfortable and welcome place to return each day after painting in 90+ degrees temperature with a 80% humidity.Special thanks to awards judge Master Jove Wang,  and the event coordinators and volunteers who gave their time and energy this week to make it such a success. Marie Nuthall, Al Bond, Jessica Bellis and the whole team at plein [...]

Read Full Post


A Painters Paradise: Monhegan Island

I had the good fortune to spend 4 days on Monhegan Island, ME with a group if 16 artists - quite a large group considering the year round population of Monhegan is closer to 65... We enjoyed the quiet rustic qualities of this Maine fishing village and some high end eating at the Monhegan House... Oysters on the half shell mmm. Each day offered something new and unexpected. Everywhere you tuned your head - a painting. I am so glad I could share this adventure with this wonderful group of artists.   Thank you to everyone for contributing their spirit, good humor and images... Here are [...]

Read Full Post


Painting in the Dessert - Big Bend 2023

Some notes about painting in the desert - bring water and shade - you don't want to get excited to about a distant bluff and forget to hydrate - also a portable umbrella will give your eyes a better view of what your painting - [...]

Read Full Post


Plein Air Watercolor: Painting from the Rooftops

  The City from the top of a roof is so dramatic and tempting - but also fraught with challenges. In this blog post and video I want to introduce a view of Bostons Historic North End from Frankie's Rooftop. Its not the typical subject for the plein air artist - but sometimes its just irresistible and it has to be really special to get me up on the roof because I do fear high places.  Once you are set up safely there are some specific challenges to getting started Finding and isolating a view there is just SO much and it is difficult to [...]

Read Full Post


A Visit to Gloucester April 2021

The talk of a morning of painting has been growing iouder amongst this group of plein air painters. Norris Strawbridge, Stuart Murphy and myself. The winter has kindly receded and so we strike out...First stop - Georges!!!  A well known breakfast joint that serves up pancakes the size of hub caps, hot coffee and plenty of fun banter. Don't believe me have a look at the video at the 10 second mark. Feeling ready for a nap we swagger out the door and onto our first destination on Ledgemont road - an overlook of Gloucester - a panorama favored by many [...]

Read Full Post


The Plein Air Season Begins

The warmer days have prompted the sap to rise and I am longing to begin Plein air painting...My friends have the same urge and so we set off to Plymouth Ma for a morning of plein air watercolor, a gallery visit, and lunch with new friends.  The drive out of Boston was rather smooth, the three of us had not had this much fun in a while due to the pandemic , so there was some catching unto do and we made our plan during the hour drive down to historic Plymouth Ma Painting the Mayflower Painting an icon is challenging to the artist [...]

Read Full Post